After a full afternoon of cleaning out my studio....I took the evening to do a bit of sewing!
First on the machine were some pillows for down by the pool. This fabric is some outdoor fabric made from some sort of recycled plastic bottles so it's a bit stiff but seems that it will hold up well to being out by the pool. Last year we got a really nice new set of chocolate colored "wicker" furniture.. it came with teal cushions. It's really very nice but the accent pillows were a stripe that have never really been my favorite so when I saw this fabric with just that touch of teal in it I knew it would be great for slipcovering those pillows!
The pillows are simple with an envelope back so I could just slip in the old pillows for a fast and easy project. If I can find some more of this fabric I will do a table cloth with it for our outdoor dining room!
The next small poject was actually finishing up a small project that started it's life as a practise piece. I am teaching myself how to free motion quilt with the new BSR on my Bernina 830... it's a bit like rubbing your tummy and patting your head... easier said than done for this girl! So I am working on control and have been working on small projects that will suffer my learning and still be useable... thus POTHOLDERS!
Inspired by the dots I used free motion to create little flowers on this piece. Obviously nothing fancy... but with a bit of bindning ( a jelly roll strip!) and a few moments I new have a potholder that makes me smile each time I see it in my kitchen!
If you want to learn more about free motion quiliting check out this post on the SewMamaSew blog!
and I want to take a quick moment to do a shout out to all the ladies and gents I met at the AEC... it's was so great to meet you... what fun... and see you next year! :)