Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Now All I Need Is Some Rain!

It really is amazing what you can find on the sale rack at Target sometimes!  Yesterday's adventure brought home a wonderful slate blue swing style rain coat for the reasonable sum of about $12.  As great as the coat was style wise it really called to me as a great canvas for some applique, but what fabric?  That was solved by a quick trip to my most beloved Sew Bee It  quilting store in North GA.

What I came home with was Kaffe Fassett's fabric Millefiore which is covered in the most wonderful circles that were just made for applique work!  I cut out the circles and then sat out on my front porch last night and sewed them on by hand with the needleturn method giving them a very tidy apperance ( you could also do this with a machine and the blind stitch..but sometimes I really like to hand stitch).  There are two full circles on the back as well as a 3/4 circle.  Another full circle and a 1/2 circle grace the front and as of last night I thought I was done.

But never to be one to leave well enough alone ( why stop at three kids when you can have 6?) this morning I woke with the idea that a bird on the back would be just right. So I freehand cut out a wonky  little bird and wing and went back out to my front porch with  a glass of juice and a needle and got to work on adding him to my coat.
Of course now there is no rain in our forcast for the forseeable future so I will just have to hang my new beauty up here in my studio to admire until the rain clouds come this way again!

No comments: